From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:03:07 +1000
Kristine Wiedman wrote onMon, 28 Jan 2002 > > my "old" days in the NICU
where > We never had colicky babies--many were fed EBM. The word "colic"
never
> came up in the unit and never needed to--not for premies or full term
> babies of all ages under 1 year. Has anyone else thought about that-why
> would that be? Does colic only occur at home under parents' care?

Kristine,
     This information is in one of handout I give my clients.  I cited the
4th edition, 1984, of Lawrence.  She discusses a 1977 survey on the Isle of
Wight (UK) and mentions that premature infants did not develop "colic" till
42 weeks, i.e. two weeks after expected date of delivery.
   I think in the past, when Mums stayed in hospital for 10 days, the onset
of "colic", as well as the tendency of babies this age to need to breastfed
very frequently, was blamed by hospital staff on inexperienced Mums just
home, who couldn't manage as well as professionals!
    Cheers,
           Virginia
            in sunny Brisbane