From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:52:56 -0700
>Just wanted to take a minute to let you know that Red Raspberry Leaf is
>perfectly safe to take after child birth and will often assist in reducing
>postpartum bleeding as it is an excellent vitalizer of reproductive organs.
> I have many clients that will take red raspberry throughout their
>pregnancy and through breastfeeding just to keep everything "moving along
>nicely".

I'm wondering if the effect of red raspberry leaf is more on the let-down
side than the milk production side. From what I've read, red raspberry
leaf is helpful as a "uterine toner",  and therefore appears to act on
involuntary muscle tissue.  Could it not also do so on muscle cells
surrounding the alveoli, perhaps stimulating stronger contractions and
more efficient milk emptying?  I've thought of recommending it for MER
problems.

For the record-- I heard about this herb in regards to breastfeeding at
an LLL conference session (early 90's) on herbal remedies for the
breastfeeding mother given by a doctor of Chinese medicine.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC