From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:52:12 -0500
Carpal Tunnel is caused by the compression of the median nerve as it passes
through the wrist.   Numbness is characteristically in the thumb, index
finger, long finger, and half of the ring finger.   The little finger is not
affected.   It does sometimes occur with pregnancy, especially if there is
much tissue swelling.   It is a matter of too much tissue being squeezed in
too small a space causing nerve compression.    It can go away, get worse or
come and go.  Other things can make it worse, such as typing , gardening,
scanning groceries, shaking thermometers and sleeping with the wrist bent.
Carpal Tunnel is made worse by bending of the wrist, especially if the
bending is sustained over time.  When holding the baby I suspect the mother
is curving her hand and wrist around the baby in normal attempts to support
and cuddle him.   If you can help her to find other ways to support the
infant she may find she doesn't have pain and/or numbness while
breastfeeding.  The ideal position for her wrist is to be in a neutral
position (not bent back  too far nor bent down too far). Bed pillows,
special breastfeeding pillows such as "my breast friend" or "boppy" types,
rolled baby blankets can all take the place of the moms curved in (flexed
hand).   Footstools also help by raising her lap.  She may  use a specially
designed wrist brace to keep her wrist in the neutral position while
breastfeeding.   I know this, as I suffered from this syndrome with my first
child and learned to hold and latch him with the brace on.  The hardest
thing was laying him down with wrists held stiffly!   If the Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome is not severe she may be able to tolerate short amounts of time
with wrist bent while she latches the baby on and places various supports to
hold him in position then she could either rest her wrists in a neutral pose
without the brace or put them on if needed.   Sleeping with the braces on is
especially helpful.
An explanation of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be found at
http://www.sechrest.com/mmg/reflib/ctd/cts/cts.html
Other orthopedic problems that sometimes affect breastfeeding women are also
found at  http://www.sechrest.com/mmg/reflib/ctd.html
Carla

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by constriction of