From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:34:11 -2
Ruthy, at 40% you're still okay!

Extract from a recent newspaper article here in S.A.:
"The rate of births by caesarean section in S.A. has escalated
phenomenally in recent years, to more than 60% in private clinics,
more than double the rate in overseas countries.......  Women also
appear to be demanding caesars more as they believe it is easier,
and they can also plan the date."

...then a quote from an obstetrician...
the operation is the "best way of escape for the baby as it is birth
without violence.  The vagina is a sexual organ, not a childbirth
organ, and women today are not baby-making machines."

and we're trying to make our health facilities more mother- and
baby-friendly!
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa