From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:34:19 -0400
Hello.  I have 2 doctors that are questioning routine suctioning of babies
because they heard at a conference about how it can affect babies including
ability to breastfeed.  They also heard about the importance of keeping mom
and baby together until first feed-delaying routine procedures or doing
them on mom. Go figure! I have been saying this all along!  Oh well, I
don't care who they listen to as long as they listen to someone!  :-)

Anyway, they agreed to meet with me to brainstorm some ideas.  They are
actually wanting to put some of these ideas into practice and see what
happens.  This is very exciting to me.  It is one of the first steps in
making change-acknowledging that we may be doing something wrong. The first
thing we need to move anywhere with this is the current protocols on
routine suctioning and delaying procedures. I am not a nurse so I am not
used to all of the organizations that make the guidelines.  I asked my
supervisor, but she has so much on her mind that it could take her awhile
to get back with me. We use some Newborn Resuscitation protocol. Is that
where I can get info on suctioning? Are there any websites?

Also, is there anyone out there (in the U.S.) that does not do routine
suctioning?  If so I would love to "talk" with you. I would also love to
hear comments from anyone from any country that has seen a difference in
babies once you stopped routine suctioning.

Christine Lichte, IBCLC
Warrensburg, MO