Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:27:27 +0000

>I was not able to get any useful info from the biological nurturing
>website, Heather, because the "how to" part of it was said to be
>under construction. Thanks all for discussing this important tiopic.
>Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
>Mississippi, s.e. USA

That part of the site is indeed not up yet, sadly. Dr Suzanne Colson
has material which she shares at conferences and I have heard her
speak and seen this material three or four times now, and I use what
I have learnt more and more, as do other UK colleagues. I think she
has written material you can send for.

Over the years, I have moved *right away* from prescriptive stuff
about how the mother sits and holds her baby, and where the baby is
on her body; I try to let the mother and the baby find their own way,
and I think it works better. What doesn't change in my experience is
the orientation of the *attachment* - that is, babies who are
effectively attached still have wide mouths with the chin against the
breast and the nose not buried, which reflects the fact that the
nipple is way to the back of the mouth and not being compressed
against the roof of the mouth.

Babies can lead this process, but that doesn't mean the mother has no
role in enabling it.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK