From:
Rebecca Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:39:53 -0500
Kathy, Lori, and others:

I was shocked when I read the posts about dry eyes.  I am currently nursing my third
child and am having a big problem with this.  My eyes litterally stick together at
night, and I have great difficulty getting them open.  Artificial tears don't help.
I've wanted to blame my problem on low estrogen, but this have been a real concern
for me because my mother has Sjogren's syndrome, an auto-immune disorder that
causes, among other more awful problems, dry eyes.
I've spoken with an opthamologist and my primary care Dr.  Neither of them had ever
heard of this being related to low estrogen during lactation, but felt that it
wouldn't be surprising.

Here is the real irony--I live near to both Kathy and Lori!  Is this just a problem
in Southern Maryland, or is this a common problem for lactating mothers?  Should we
be spreading the word in the medical community that dry eyes can be related to
lactation and that the problem clears up after estrogen returns to normal?

Becky Butler, IBCLC
La Plata, MD