From:
Dressler/DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:07:44 -0500
Gonneke,

Thanks for another way of looking at talking about advantages in LLL
meetings. .  .Perhaps I have been hung up on "not saying AIM."   Yes, I also
like talking about breastfeeding as part of a natural continuum.

And I guess I was being a little 'touchy feely" in my response to Kate.
Kate, your question deserves more.

When I began my LLLL applicant process years ago, I wasn't nearly as
knowledgeable about breastfeeding and breast milk as many mothers are now,
let alone applicants.  At that time, it was widely felt that LLLLs weren't
supportive of working moms.  LLL itself went through a lot of growing pains
around the concept of mother-baby separation.  There also wasn't the breast
pump technology available then that there is now which makes it so possible
for moms and babies to breastfeed even though separated.

So, I think we can safely say a lot of water has gone under the bridge since
then.

Kate, if you wonder if your beliefs and feelings about bottle feeding will
be a hindrance in helping mothers as a LLLL, you can hash it out with a
Leader even before you start your applicant process.  LLL isn't for
everyone.

By the by, I believe Diane Weissinger is a LLL Leader and I think this is
strongly reflected in her writing.

Diane, LLL
Florence, VT