From:
Barb Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:02:33 -0600
It has been said (I think) in these pages that having donor human milk
available for supplementation of newborns whose mothers cannot provide
breastmilk for them is one of the requirements for certification as a Baby
Friendly Hospital.  Today I went looking for a document or documents that
could verify that statement, and I am now thoroughly glassy-eyed from hours
of trying to find such a thing.

I have looked on the UNICEF website, the UK Baby Friendly website, LACTNET
archives, the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada website, and others, all
with no luck.  The nearest I came was this quote from a WHO document:

"For those few health situations where infants cannot, or should not, be
breastfed, the choice of the best alternative - expressed breast milk from
an infant's own mother, breast milk from a healthy wet-nurse or a human-milk
bank, or a breast-milk substitute fed with a cup, which is a safer method
than a feeding bottle and teat - depends on individual circumstances."

p. 7, Infant and young child nutrition/Global strategy on infant and young
child feeding/Report by the Secretariat, A55/15, 16 April 2002:
http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/pdfs/globalstrategy.pdf

Even here, the idea is only implied; this isn't a formal standard.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a Baby Friendly manual, which probably
would provide me with an answer.

Can someone tell me if the availability of donor human milk is a requisite
part of Baby Friendly certification, and if so, where I can find reference
to that fact?

Thanks very much.

Barb Strange