From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:01:55 EDT
I am posting for a friend with her permission. She is 28 wks pregnant, and
her baby has a low heart rate that is supposedly from Sjogren's Syndrome
antibodies in the mothers blood.  The mother has no symptoms of this disease. She is
still nursing her healthy 2 year old healthy son. Her main concern is whether
or not she will be able to give her breastmilk to her baby, the doctor is
concerned that the antibodies that are "attacking" the baby inutero may "go
through her breastmilk.  At this point, I have found no information on breastfeeding
and Sjogren's Syndrome.  With all I have learned in my few years of studying
lactation - I would have to believe that nursing would be only beneficial to
this baby.  Does anyone have any information on this syndrome as related to
breastmilk?

Thank you for any help.  I will continue to search for answers and will
support my friend.

Donna Kimick
Intern LC (until word on Oct 15th)

"It's the lucky baby, I feel, who continues to nurse until he's two."
Antonia Novello, MD, MPH, DrPH
Surgeon General 1990-1993

LakeShore Lactation & Breastfeeding Center
"IBCLC Boards - 7/26/04   .....waiting for Oct 15th now"