From:
Robin/Joan MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:08:16 -0300
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=84143&id
_list=&cookied=T

Thank You for nursing your baby in public- And how to make a stranger cry
by Lisa Russell
June 26, 2000

I was in a shopping mall watching a grungy looking
mother of a filthy little 3 or 4 yr old and a teeny tiny infant (less than 3
mos) trying to give the baby a bottle with her mother and mother in law over
her shoulder, giving her unwanted advice, and finally, she got up and left
them there alone. She returned from the restroom with the baby on her
breast, and tossed the bottle into the trash. The mothers were mortified
that she would do this in public and she did a wonderful job of shutting
them up (thank god for prolactin, I would have killed them!)

Anyhow, I wanted to "connect" with this woman, and show her some support,
more than the usual "smile and nod" I was so disgusted when I saw her trying
to force a bottle into the babies
mouth, I almost judged her on the spot, except for the two older women were
being so pushy, I had to sympathize. I went home, and couldn't stop
thinking about this incident. How dare I be judgmental to this woman- I was
disgusted with mySELF. I wished I could go back in time, sit down next to
her, and offer my support. In real life, she would have probably thought I
was crazy! Instead I wrote her a note, and I had 500
copies of it made, had it cut & padded into 1/4 page size, and now I
distribute them in shopping
malls, restaurants, museums, bowling alleys, parks, buses, airports,
everywhere I see women nursing in public. I put an address on the bottom for
people who are interested in distributing them. So far I have given them out
in Texas, Florida, Baltimore, Iowa, Washington, and California. Who knows
where else they have landed.

Here is what the note says:

Thank you for nursing your baby in public. You are not only nourishing your
child, but the hearts and minds of everyone here. When
nursing in America is more common and understood, the credit will go to
women like you. I thank you on behalf of my grandmother who had never
heard of breastfeeding. I thank you on behalf of my mother, who hadn't a
single soul to support her
nurturing instinct. I thank you on behalf of my
daughters and granddaughters, may they never think twice when their children
thirst. May
they never search for a "secluded corner," a dressing room, or a restroom. I
thank you on behalf of every woman who ever was or ever will be. Have a
beautiful day.

copyright 1999, Lisa Russell

OK- wipe your eyes! I wanted it to be empowering and supportive. I usually
just hand it to the woman and walk away, without saying a word. Sometimes
I'll hide around the corner, and watch them read it, they usually cry and
look around for the mysterious "stranger" who gave them the note. I imagine
it's posted on people's refrigerators. Hopefully, though they keep it in
their wallets and pass it on again! You never know with these things!

SO- THANK YOU- for nursing your baby in public! If you wish to distribute
these notes in your town, feel free to print and copy them on your own- but
PLEASE include my Email address so I can keep track of where else they're
being distributed. Once it reaches 50 states, I'd like to call the news or
something!
If you want a copy with the mailing address attached, just Email your street
address to me and I will send you an "original"

Lisa Russell

PS-I will be starting a column here on themestream for empowering moms- a
pep-talk for mothers. I seem to have a knack for making people proud of
themselves- and NO-ONE deserves a pep-talk more than mothers! If you're
interested in subscribing, click on the sidebar to "Email the author" and I
will see that you get an announcement when the column begins. I believe you
will have to return to themestream and subscribe on your own.

Copyright Lisa Russell
About the author: Wife of Brandon and Work at home, AP mom to Emilee (6)
Meagan(3) and a baby on the way, due 12-00.