Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:17:12 -0500
 Camille,

The first thing I'd be looking for in this baby is a posterior tongue-tie. Lot so babies will be able to feed "well
enough", but will cause recurrent problems for mom and will have difficulty gaining weight. I would also look at
mom's diet--if baby having difficulty gaining and has GERD symptoms, then food allergies may be the cause. IMO,
GERD is not a condition, but rather symptomatic of either a structural problem or gut problems, usually
associated with food allergy. I am in no way a fan of u/s for treating recurrent plugged ducts. I have seen too
many moms now spend weeks having these treatments either to no avail or to have them recur when treatment ends.

I use homeopathy-hard to tell for sure with this mom, but probably either phytolacca or hepar sulph and Natural Calm
magnesium--where there are spasms, there is a need for mag. But, again--look for a tongue-tie--if you do not know how
to eval for posterior, send to someone who does and look at diet.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

I  usually lurk but I need some help as I not been able to find information on
this. I have a mother with whom I have worked with for two children. She had
major problems with her first attempt at nursing. Her nipples were almost gone
when I first saw her when her baby was 1 week old. With her current baby ...She
has Reynauds that is being treated. She also keeps her breasts as warm as
possible and wears a warm vest too. She has chronic plugged ducts in her left
breast with chronic milk pimples. The milk that comes out of the clogs is very
thick like spaghetti and when she pumps she has a lot of cream and very little
blue milk.  She is now taking the maximum dose of Lethicin a day and is on the
maximum does of nifredrin. Her baby is about 6 months, things were going well
for about the first 3-4 months  and then began to deteriorate. Her baby has been
to the chiropractor and her jaw has been adjusted. I have sent her back to the
chiropractor and he says baby is fine. I have a long r
elationship and great success with him so I do not think the problem is with the
baby. Mom is taking fenugreek and blessed thistle 3 caps 3 times a day as her
milk supply dimished because of the baby's nursing before jaw adjustment and
baby is having trouble gaining weight. Baby is treated for GERD. So many
problems have improved, however it is the plugged ducts that are driving her mad
as they are quite painful. Baby seems to have alot of trouble nursing on the
affected side with lots of pulling and kneading on the breast with her hands.
This is painful for Mom.  Mom is pumping after feeding on the left side as baby
has such difficulty. We are about to try the sonic treatment to try and break up
the clogs. My question is that if Reynauds causes vasospasms can it also cause
spasms in the milk ducts?
Thank you so much for any insight on this problem.
Camille  Edmunds MA CLC