From:
Anna Heh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:41:43 EST
Hi.  Something to consider may be "rusty pipe syndrome."  It is discussed in
Ruth Lawrence's book Breastfeeding  A Guide for the medical Professional" pg.
542 fifth edition.
We have seen mothers in our hospital practice with different colors of milk.
Usually with the rusty-pipe it is old blood colored and does seem to decrease
within a few days.  We have seen it brown or grayish colored .  I would
assume it varies with amount of old blood in the amount of colostrum.   Hope
this helps.  Let us know the outcome and if they give the milk to the infant.