From:
Ruth Leach-Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 11:36:04 -0800

>Got a similar case going in Sacramento, and even the immunologists don't
get
>it.
>
>Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

An addendum to my other post...Yes even the immunologists don't get it nor
the oncologists, nor the hematologists.  An example to illustrate the
seeming uphill battle.
I'm in hospital rounds on a patient soon to undergo Bone Marrow Transplant.
He's about 11 months old and we've already battled over breastfeeding as he
was put on one of those horrid "pre-digested" formulas over many objections
from the nurses.  Turned out the only thing he could tolerate was breastmilk
so he was "allowed" to continue nursing.  Now in rounds the attending
physician anounces that he will have to stop breastfeeding as soon as the
transplant process starts.  The resident asks why and the attending replies
that "breastmilk can cause graft versus host disease and besides"the breasts
aren't clean."!!!!!  Of course the mother and child are not informed
prepared or supported in any way, and on top of the trauma of the transplant
the comfort, nutrition, protection, etc. of breastfeeding are taken away.
To add insult to injury this mom is essentially told that her milk is
harmful to her child and her breasts are dirty.
This was definitely a test as to my ability to control my often fiery
temper!

Ruth
Still looking for a guide through the corridors of Academic Medicine