Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:23:40 +1100
<My concern is that my textbook Riordan and Auerbach states "The
<expressed milk of a mother with candidiasis should not be saved and
<frozen, because freezing deactivates yeast but does not kill it." P490..
Hi Esther,
the concern is if the mother clears up the thrush now and then uses this
milk in the future - ?could it cause a recurrence of the problem. We have
discussed this previously and Jack Newman thinks it unlikely that the
presence of some organisms in the unfrozen milk (presuming they survived)
would hang around long enough in the baby's mouth to cause a problem.
Using the milk while mother and baby are being treated is not a problem.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia (where it's nice and warm today, so I
think I'll have a swim).