From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:25:23 -0500
I got a call today from the mom of a breastfeeding 2 month old girl.
Everything has been goin very well with the BF....until the last week.  She
describes a generalized feeling of "burning, sharp-twinges, pins and needles
" after BF on one side only.  This has been going on for the last week.  She
says it happens after every BF, on the left breast only, as "the breast
refills."   It is so severe, especially at night, that she has gotten out of
bed to take a warm bath/shower to relieve the pain.  The right breast is
fine.

Her pattern of BF has not changed lately, she is at home with the baby.  She
has not had any changes in her diet, is not on any medication.  It does not
happen when she is feeling cold.  She does not have symptoms of breast
infection - fever, achy, localized pain in the breast, lumpy area, etc.
Since this is unilateral for a week, I don't think it is thrush.

I suggested ibuprofen to relieve the pain and any inflammation.  I told her
to call her doctor if she develops more overt signs of breast infection.

What am I missing?

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York