Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:27:50 EST

Betsy said:

<<In the grand scheme of  things, I can't get bent out of shape about this
becauswe in reality, I do  not see that the reps make any headway with
anyone anyway. The mindset is  either there or it is not. A formula rep
bringing
food is not going to  change anyone's mind.>>

I suspect, Betsy, you are being a  bit ingenuous here.  Case in point.  When
the peds I work with first  went into practice many years ago, he was
determined that he would change the  formula for the bottle feeding babies in his
practice every four months --   Ross, Mead Johnson, Wyeth (can you tell how old he
is?).   Several  years later (I'm a slow learner), I noticed that all the
babies that needed  formula were getting only Ross.  I asked him why.

"Well," he said, "Dan, the  formula man is SO nice...."

Ahhhh.

Fast forward a couple of years,  and suddenly our babies are all getting Mead
Johnson products.   "Why?"  "Ahhh -- well, Dan left, and you know, Maggie
from Mead Johnson is  SOOOOO nice."

Honestly, if lavish dinners didn't work, if giving free  formula didn't work,
if giving gifts didn't work -- do you think the formula  companies would do
it?  They are NOT dumb!  Oh my gosh NO!  A  short course in marketing will show
you that they know what they are  doing.  A Ross Rep once said to me, "A
breastfeeding mom is our best  friend.  Because if we can get her to supplement
with our product even one  time, we have her."   You see, a bottle feeding mom
will readily  change formula companies, and switch to cow's milk ASAP.  But a
breastfeeding mom really is concerned about her babu's nutrition, and if she
thinks that the formula she is given in the hospital is the BEST one for her
baby, chosen specifically by her pediatrician, she is hooked.  And if she  is
convinced one way or the other that she doesn't have enough milk -- she'll
choose the formula given to her in the hospital.

Now, the lavish dinners may not change the mind of the  die-hard lactivists
like me.  But for those nurses -- who have a whole lot  more access to the moms
on a 24/7 basis -- who really aren't convinced that  breastmilk is ALL that
much better than formula, well -- believe you me -- if  they get dinner at a
fawncy restaurant from Mead Johnson complete with nursing  credits, and a pen
from Ross -- you tell me where their loyalties will  lie???

Not to mention, of course, Karleen is right -- there are  studies that will
prove the point.

Jan Barger RN, MA,  IBCLC
Wheaton IL

_Lactation  Education Consultants_