From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:07:05 EST
A recent issue of Nurses drug Review which our office receives has an article
about a case report of a 9 week old premature infant that was hospitalized
with

She had been delivered at 27 weeks gestation, and was discharged from the
special care nursery after 8 weeks.   The mother was taking 300 mg of
serazone daily for depression.  After ruling out other causes the infant was
removed from breastmilk and after three days the symptoms resolved.  Studies
done showed that the infant only received 0.45% of the mother's weight
adjusted dose,

they go on to state: Although infant exposure to antidepressants and other
drugs is generally considered to be safe when the infant dose is <10% of the
maternal dose, this may not apply to premature infants with immature hepatic
and renal clearance mechanisms.

The entire text of the newsletter I posted at the following website:

http://www.geocities.com/jon_ahr/Nefazodone_breastmilk.htm

This article also lists two references.

I hope that this information will be helpful.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa
Heading off to the Iceland Breastfeeding Conference this weekend