From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:36:38 +0200
Dee Kassing wrote:
"I've been out of town, and am now catching up on emails.  How well the "fish lips" analogy works may depend upon where you live and what fish are common there.  Here, there are wide-mouth bass, and that is the type of fish we mention when we talk about "fish lips".  These particular fish open their mouths very wide (hence, the name).  There are also small-mouth bass, but these will not give the same effect--perhaps the 90-degree angle you mention, Linda.  So, when talking about "fish lips", we do have to be careful to specify the fish!"

Strange - I've been using the fish analogy (after watching Finding Nemo, followed by an antenatal class ;-). I use it to say that a CLOSED fish mouth is not really ideal and the corners of a fish mouth are not wide open, although the lips might be curled outwards. Further I use a segment out of the video "Helping A Mother To Breastfeed (RCM UK) as it has exellent images of a baby drinking on the breast with a +140o latch. Personally, I would only use the "closed fish mouth" as an analogy of a mouth that is NOT wide open!

Not sure what type of fish I would have to use here though?

groetjes
Sara Bernard (16 days to go!)
The Netherlands