From:
Ruth Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:25:35 -0800
Greetings,

I worked with a M.D. who always encouraged the mothers to "smell their
babies" immediately after delivery.  We called him Dr. Sniff because he
was almost aggressive in making sure the moms really got close to their
babes and smelled them before they were washed. He said this was
essential for successful breast feeding.  I am wondering if there is any
research done on this? This smell-bonding is very important in the
animal kingdom and during the birth process, we are not much different.
Since then I have always made sure my pt's had a close "smell" of their
babies at delivery.

Anyone other Dr. Sniff's out there? Anyone aware of studies?

Ruth Johnson RN
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Website:
http://www.cyberhealth.bc.ca