Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:37:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
As both an LLL Leader, and  private practice and WIC lactation consultant, I would like to agree with Kathleen that we women need to stop giving away our services. I decided that once I became IBCLC that I would approach this business like a business. I want to be treated professionally by the community which means I must act and look professional. I want the physicians in this area to know I am a professional business, also.

If the mom wants "just" phone help, I give her the numbers of local Leaders who I know are good after explaining what my business is. I thank her for contacting me and encourage her to call me again if she decides she needs expert "hands on" help.

The problem I see with spending two hours at a pump rental for the LLL Group is  that this a service beyond what LLL expects of it's Leaders. Home visits are optional. And truthfully, you are doing more of a "consult" than a pump delivery when you are there for two hours. 

Leaders are there for free mother to mother support with phone calls and group meetings. This is an important thing and is what we (Leaders) do best. When I do an private or WIC consult, I am not there as a "mother to mother" support person, I am there as a paid professional.

As a Leader, I would not have a Baby Weigh Scale for test weighing, or send a report to the physician afterwards. As a professional IBCLC, I do both of these. I do not think it is healthy for either LLL or IBCLCs to blur the lines between these two valuable services.

Just my two cents!!! Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC
PS: Dawn, I think co-leading works best when we communicate honestly with each other. If you were my co-Leader, I would not want you to spend so much time with pump rentals!!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2