From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:17:37 +0100

  _____

From: Denise Fisher [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 4. februar 2007 23:44
To: Lactnet
Subject: re: pumping within an hour

Jan wrote "if the baby  is about to be
forcefed formula because he/she hasn't latched on and breastfed,  and
someone
is getting nudgy about hypoglycemia, and you see the bottle and  nipple just

about to be plunged in the baby's mouth -- for goodness sake, help  mom hand

express into a spoon and feed it to the baby!!"

Or better still wave the hospital's evidence-based policy on hypoglycemia,
that I'm sure reflects the research that's been around for quite a few years
now, under that particular staff members nose and tell them to back off -
the baby (healthy, no risk factors) will be fine for at least 24 hours.
BUT ... the lactation won't be. So yes, some peaceful, gentle hand
expressing being taught by someone with sensitivity for the mother's
feelings sometime in the first 6 hours is a great idea. And seeing you've
now got 1ml or 2ml colostrum, trickling it into baby's mouth slowly
certainly won't hurt the baby.

The more interventions there are in the birthing process the MORE important
it is to give the mother and baby lots and lots of time together
skin-to-skin, not less. There's so many hormonal upheavals that have to be
corrected - and that won't happen with baby in the cot and mum in bed
attached to a double pump.

BTW the timing of the first breastfeed, when left to occur normally, should
also be thought of the way we're talking about solids - ie. at 55 +/- 4
minutes the baby doesn't suddenly go PING. (Who started that phrase, I love
it!)

Denise

Denise Fisher
Health e-Learning