From:
Leigh Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:55:09 -0400
Hi All,

I am happy to hear this discussion about depressed women becoming
mothers. My mother was most probably depressed most of her life -
until about the last 12 years - and she was a wonderful mother and
truly enjoyed mothering - she did not breastfeed any of us.

A close friend of mine suffered depression and anxiety - was medicated
6 years prior to becoming pregnant and stayed medicated until the
birth of her baby. She was told she could not be medicated because she
was breastfeeding. The one thing she loved was mothering, she told me
through tears how much she loved her baby, how proud she was of her
baby. Her husband said the one thing that she was good at was
mothering and she truly enjoyed nursing her baby. Sadly, she ended her
life when that baby was 5 months old. This was complete mismanagement
of her care.

This drives home the importance of working with the whole woman/child.

In sunny New York City,

Leigh Anne O'Connor, IBCLC
www.leighanneoconnor.com