Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:45:43 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Was the tongue-tie fully released?  I've found lots of partial clippings done and the baby has never learned to suck, just existing on mom's let=down.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jannette Festival
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:00 AM
Subject: Fussy not latching baby

Hello,
I'm wondering if any one has any other ideas on how to help a mom I'm working with...I'm stumped as what to offer her. She has a 11 week old baby. Last week the baby became extremely fussy at the breast. Did not want to latch and when she does, it's only for a few minutes at a time. Baby is healthy, mom has lots of milk, at 11 weeks babe is 12 lbs (birth wt 8lbs 9 oz). Babe did have her tongue clipped at 2 weeks. When I offer her my finger to suck on-her tongue is constantly swirling and she gags easily. Palate palpates normal.
Baby does not like to be swaddled and when she is held she needs to be facing out so she doesn't scream. We've tried all positions, laying down, straddling her leg, football etc...
Laying down in a quiet environment sometimes gives an 'okay' feed. Evening is definitely worse (colic?). Last night I went to observe a feed, baby would not breast feed (fussy, screaming). Mom pumped 5 oz, baby would not take the bottle. I am sending her to the doc to get baby's throat and ears checked. I did not see any visible signs of yeast on either one of them. Mom is a trooper but feeling extremely rejected. Am I missing anything??

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2