From:
Alicia Burgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:44:42 -0400
Julie,
My first instinct in trying to imagine this scenario is, keep that baby skin to
skin much more than two or three times a day! Is that really what she is
doing? She is relying mostly on the pump to do the job, and is too stressed
out to have the baby at the breast? Forgive me if i had missed something
about this dyad in a previous post.  Her best bet may be nothing more than
the LLL standard 48-hour cure protocol, if she would allow it.
Also, what about setting her up with a mini-SNS or Lact-Aid or french 5 (a la
Jack Newman) to supp this baby while at breast - even if it weren't pumped
milk - if she understood this to be a temporary situation to get back
to 'normal', could she handle that? When dealing with this kind of situation, i
try to 'meet' the mom where she is emotionally, and let her know of her
choices that she can actually handle at this time, and maybe they aren't
perfect according to what we know.  Maybe pumping, bf, bottling, etc is just
too much, but if she were given permission to use whatever she can handle in
a feeding tube, at the breast, for just a few days, to get over the 'hump',
then she can work through it and get back to 100% bf.  I'm sure i will catch
some heat for this philosophy, but i've been in the trenches with so many of
these moms for so many years, that i've learned that our best ideas may be
just too much, and we end up losing them. (sorry for the preaching).
Living in a somewhat rural area myself, i understand how hard it is to actually
get with all these moms - however, i've learned the hard way that much can
be missed by relying on the phone.  She may not be forthcoming as you need
her to be.
If she wanted to be proactive in other ways, what about herbs?
So, these are the rambling thoughts that have come tumbling out, i don't
know if they are helpful, but this case obviously hit a nerve, as i am usually
quite happy to 'lurk & learn'! LOL.  Methinks she owes you some more info
about what's really going on around her as well, and how it may be affecting
her.
Good luck!
Alicia Burgett, IBCLC in private practice, and getting grumpy due to the heat!