From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 03:29:58 +0000
I was looking up some references to breastfeeding when mother has a fever. A
couple of patients have recently reported they were not allowed to bf nor
even be with their babies in hospital due to a maternal fever. I have (at
work) the reference by Ruth Lawrence on Medical Contraindications and I
believe that is the ref I had used in the past stating fever is not a
contraindication. However, on a related note, I was reading her 1999 text
"BF - a guide for the medical profession, 5th ed" and table E-1, p. 869
gives infectious diseases and whether bf is okay or not. For breast abscess,
it advises discarding ebm for 24 hrs after surgery and no bf for 24 hrs (the
WHO Mastitis ref does not recommend this). For endometritis/PID with group b
strep it states bf okay after 24 hrs of therapy and that ebm is ok. For
haemophilus influenzae it states bf after 24 hrs of therapy, may give ebm.
And for mastitis it appears to advise (for staph A and group A strep) to bf
after 24 hrs of therapy and to discard milk for 24 hrs (this is not what I
am used to). There may have been more infections with similar advice; I
stopped there. Do you all follow this advice?

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA