Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:45:19 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of LACTNET automatic digest
system
Sent: 11 April 2009 05:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 10 Apr 2009 (#2009-414)

There is 1 message totalling 32 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. LACTNET Digest - 10 Apr 2009 - Special issue (#2009-411)

Lactnet Archives are at:
LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Thanks- Kathleen Bruce, Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr,
Karleen Gribble, Linda Pohl, LACTNET Facilitators

Questions to [log in to unmask]
Dear Peg,
While breastfeeding does offer protection against cancers, it is only one
factor.  As the mother of a baby who was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (a
rare childhood tumour which can be very aggressive) while breastfed and
eating only small amounts of solids, I know this only too well.  My son
needed supplemental nutrition later in his short life, as the tumour was in
his neck and he had difficulty swallowing due to this and radiotherapy.  He
did however breastfeed until the night before he died at 18 months.

The family is probably going through a "why me" stage of grief, and
breastfeeding will be part of this.  It is hard to come to terms with the
fact that the baby in your family has cancer, however she was fed.

From my experience, my son would nurse when on chemo, but would accept no
other sustainance.  Nursing was also invaluable when he was ill from
surgical infections and would accept no other foods.  While anecdotal,
breastfeeding and prompt use of antibiotics at the first sign of illness
meant he was never hospitalised for illness (excepting surgical infections).
I suspect that there is a difference in the effect of donor milk to mother's
own milk, as she is also exposed to infections.  However, any food that is
easily digested and helps the body's immune system is a bonus for cancer
patients.

I hope this helps,
Karen Butler
Coventry, England