From:
Denise Ives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:41:34 +1200
Hi,

I've not led many breastfeeding classes, but I don't think I'd ever use a
power point.  When people are sat in front of something like that they tend
to just listen.  In my classes I always have an idea of what I would like to
share with the class, but I've always started by letting them set the
agenda.  My way of doing this is to have 3 big sheets of flip chart paper,
each one has a different heading:  What will be good about breastfeeding?,
What won't be good about breastfeeding? and What do you want to learn about
breastfeeding?  I split the group into 3, and then the sheets are rotated
around each group so they can all add something under every heading if they
want to.  Then as a whole group we discuss them (in the order above), until
we have discussed (at least briefly) everything mentioned, ending with the
"What do you want to know" sheet.  That becomes the agenda, and we may add
to it as we go.  I found that this allowed me to cover everything I wanted
to, and sometimes extras too, and still cover everything the class wants.
We return to the "What do you wan to know" sheet towards the end of the
session to make sure that everything has been covered.  During the rest of
the class I use a series of discussions and practical sessions in various
small and larger groups to cover everything.   Any items that are mentioned
on the sheets that I plan to cover in more detail later in the class are not
covered too much at that point, but I tell the class that we will cover it
properly in a short while.

I hope that makes sense!

Denise
NCT BFC, now in New Zealand