From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:00:18 EDT
   I am disheartened that my profession is not aware of the consequences of
bottle-feeding a baby.  You must be aware of the consequences if you are
celebrating nurses week with a picture of a nurse bottle-feeding a baby.  For
centuries women who hand-fed or fed artificial milk via a bottle lost their
children.  They died of diarrhea, pneumonia and epidemics much more
frequently than those breastfed.  Today bottle-feeding continues to promote
disease both long and short-term.  Children bottle-fed are more likely to
become ill, die of SIDS and be hospitalized.  If they live to become adults
there is much evidence that they will be adults with chronic diseases such as
diabetes, MS,  colitis, and heart disease. Promoting a behavior that causes
illness is not consistent with the tenets of our profession, therefore it is
essential that we strongly promote breastfeeding.  Promotion of breastfeeding
is a health education and health promotion issue.  It is public health issue.
 It is a nurturing behavior.  IT IS WELLNESS and NORMALCY.  I implore you to
change your ad for nursing week.  Maybe a nurse helping a mom breastfeed.
Christine Betzold MSN FNP