From:
Carlos Gonzalez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 14:08:30 +-200
Urgent info needed:
A friend of mine, breastfeeding a 2 years old toddler, has suffered two
consecutive miscarriages. Her obstetrician is not sure if bf has a
relationship; but anyway she has decided to wait until complete weaning
before trying again.
Today, another mother consulted to me, she is breastfeeding a 13 months old
baby, and 7-weeks pregnant. She is bleeding and in bed.
My knowledge about all this is quite incomplete, these are my ideas:
1.- Many mothers breastfed during pregnancy and in tandem, so the risk of
miscarriage, if any, should be low
2.- I have read somewhere that bf can cause early birth; but, as far as I
can remember, it was a therotical consideration, not supported by research
data.
3.- Even if early birth is a problem, it would be difficult to extrapolate
to early miscarriage. I suppose (only an assumption) that uterine
sensibility to oxytocin is quite higher in late pregnancy than in early
pregnancy.
4.- Early miscarriage is probably caused by fetal problems; once the
process is started, maybe breastfeeding can accelerate it; but I do not
think that weaning would stop it (not to mention problems for the older
sibling after abrupt weaning)
Do you agree, wise women? Or have I completely lost my way?
And, most important, has anyone out there references that confirm or deny
these points, and about the exact risks (if any) involved? My friends an
myself are awaiting.
Thank you               Carlos Gonzalez
                        c/ Centro 3, atico
                        08901 Hospitalet (Barcelona)