Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:09:47 -0700
To all my wise colleagues .
I have a  34 year old mother who has a hx of breast filling but only a few
drops will come out.  Her baby is in the NICU under phototherapy. Yesterday
her breast began to fill, but only a few drops came out. Today I had her
pump and her breast were engorged but only the upper 2/3rds of her breast.
She is engorged to the point that this upper 2/3rds of the breast is red.
Again the lower 1/3rd is pink and soft   The area just above the areola was
very soft and the nipple area was very soft. It is almost like she has a
blockage in all her ducts but all the way around her breast. Both breast are
exactly the same. Her last baby was born 15 months ago and she experienced
the same problem. Her breast were very full but again the upper 2/3rds of
the breast. After a few days the engorgement started resolving as in the
weaning process soon all of the breast became soft and maybe for a week
after that she was able to pump just about 5 cc total from both breast.
What do you think is happening? I am thinking she has  the ducts but they
are blocked  because of a problem in her own fetal development .
Thanks
Jan Aken RN IBCLC