From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:09:28 +0100
Ah, this is a constant struggle.  Thanks to Heather, who responded before I could get my hands on the keys, about hemoglobins and weights in pregnancy.
It is somewhat more useful to know the baby's body weight change over time, by weighing the baby naked at scheduled intervals, never more frequently than daily, and preferably less so.  Even so, I am finding that I can tell without weighing which babies are going up and which are going down, by observing the baby and listening to the mother and father.  At this point I guess I am using the scales to fend off concern and intervention from others, and to continue to bolster my own confidence in my clinical skills.  I do not do pre- and post-feed weights, and I don't care whether the baby has just eaten or just filled its diaper when it is weighed, because these minor blips don't mean anything in the big picture of actual body weight.
In the cases where a term baby is not gaining by the fifth day of life, then serial weights as described above, to check that the plan to ensure the baby's food supply is working are a valid tool, in my HUMBLE opinion.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway