Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:56:56 +0000
Linda says:
>Occassionally (gasp), doctor's offices may need to calibrate their
>scale(s), or the baby may need to be weighed on the same scale each
>visit.  This actually happened to a coworker of mine....baby was not
>"gaining well" over a period of time.  Different scales, very different
>weights.  Found this out by weighing the baby on all the scales in the
>office that day.

There's some good Australian research on this  (ref not to hand, sorry)
that shows operator error, scale differences, procedure difference,
produces markedly different results.  We've discussed it here, too.

WRT to lots of milk transfer and slow gain, I only come across these babies
rarely -  like Joy in Oz who says "Why is it going
in one end and out the other?? IMHO I really don't think counting up
the grams (mls) that went in at *one* feed would give you much extra
useful information"  - but they do need further investigation. Here, *all*
babies have a routine 'bodycheck' at 6-8 weeks, which includes listening to
the heart for undiagnosed heart defect.   For most babies this is a breeze
of course, but for one in every however-many-hundreds it's a lifesaver.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK