From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:53:24 +1000
Annelies
Thankyou for your comments about your own experiences.  I also had large babies (4 >4kg), babies born in excellent condition after unmedicated labours, and exclusively breastfed for about 5 months.  I often see babies who sleep a lot in the first few days.  These babies do not have dummies (pacifiers), and are fed when they are ready.
Three of my own babies (the first 3) had big feeds and big sleeps from the start.  After a particularly long sleep (usually overnight by age 4-6 weeks), there would be a period of several hours when the baby would nurse frequently, then go back to sleep.
My 4th child did not fit this pattern.  I now believe that his suckling was not as effective as the other 3, because he used to make tongue noises, but I did not know about that at the time.  I accepted that he needed frequent feeds, night and day.  I think he enjoyed the night feeds, in our bed, because he could have us to himself.  My husband became very good at getting up to change babies when they needed it, then he would go back to sleep.  Sometimes we were pretty tired, but we managed.  (Someone commented about waiting for them to come home at night when they are older.  It's true!)
With the 4 children, despite the different feeding patterns, they all grew well (we are all above average height and weight), I experienced the lactational amenorrhea beyond 12 months, until the babies began to wean, and the children are now confident and happy young adults.
Dr Jack made some comments about the reward for baby-centred care (I don't remember his actual words) being when the children are teenagers.  I agree.  Provision of the whole package that comes with breastfeeding - warmth, body contact, eye contact, focused attention &c &c - must be very satisfying to the baby.  The baby should not have to ''demand'' such basic attention.  Letting mum know it's about time for a feed should be enough.
My 4th child, who could have been called a ''demanding'' baby 17 years ago, became so very confident as he grew.  He always knew his needs were going to be met.   I was aware at the time that he was different from the other 3, but I felt confident enough to accept him as he was.  I am sure the story would be different now if I had tried to manipulate his behaviour in the early days and months of his life.  I hope my experience helps someone else.
With best wishes,
Joy Johnston, Midwife IBCLC
Melbourne, Australia