Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:23:36 EDT
Kelly wrote, "I have a patient who recently started solids with her 12 month
old and all is going well, so far, but an older toddler patient of mine does
have some texture aversions, so I'm trying to see if there is a standard age."

Kelly, I am sure there is a correlation between late solids and texture
aversions.   But I would not be sure the direction of causality is that delay
causes the aversion.   On the contrary, it would make more sense to me that
aversions -- or incipient sensory problems of whatever kind -- would cause
delay.

Just out of my personal experience -- one of my three children wanted nothing
but milk and pureed foods until nearly a year and a half.   By two it became
clear that she had both a speech delay and a reflux problem, and in her
preschool years it became clear that she has some other borderline sensory
processing issues, especially texture.    Some sensory integration training
has made even more difference in her reflux than Pepcid did.   So how should
I know think about her refusal of solids?

That said, I'm assuming that your mothers are not *witholding* solids from a
baby who otherwise seems developmentally ready for them and eager to eat them
-- that doesn't seem like a good idea, certainly.