From:
sally myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:55:41 -0800
>Carol Jernigan said   "Had I known then what I know now about
the risks of using artificial infant milks, I would
have tried *anything* to keep her at breast, or at
least would have pumped so she could continue to get
my milk"  and   "In my ignorance, I bought the lie that what I was
feeding my daughter was safe.  I will always regret
putting my trust in a company that made money from my
lack of knowledge"<

I had organized a breastfeeding coalition in my rural community.  I asked representatives of WIC, University Extension Service, local Hospital and Physicians clinics, County Health Department and others to participate.  One of our first activities was to write a "Letter to the Editor" of the local newspapter to raise awareness of the issue.  Here is the letter I wrote:
Breastfeeding: It’s Important

We hear about the "benefits" of breastfeeding but the use of that word (benefit) implies that it offers something better than normal. Rather, breastfeeding allows a child to achieve their normal state of health. Unfortunately, the rates for exclusive breastfeeding drop off considerably in the early days of a baby’s life. What happens to change a mother’s mind about the importance of feeding her baby breast milk and instead introduce a food that increases the risk to their normal health.

The answer lies, largely, in the lack of support given to breastfeeding in our culture. In the early 20th century, when science and technology were booming, mankind believed he had achieved superiority to nature and laboratory-produced food for babies was promoted as being better. Thanks to research, we now know there’s nothing more healthy for babies than his mother’s own milk but our culture still thinks that formula is equally healthy or at least carries no risks. Companies that profit from the sale of those products spend a lot of money to see that way of thinking persist. Mothers should be given the opportunity to make an informed decision regarding the risks of not exclusively breastfeeding and if they choose to breastfeed they need knowledgeable support so they can succeed.

In 2000 the Department of Health and Human Services published a "Blueprint for Action on Breastfeedng". Segments of our culture that need to change if our nation is to be breastfeeding supportive are: 1) Health Care System 2) Workplace and 3) Family/Community. This entire document can be read at www.woman.gov/breastfeeding. The USDA has stated that a minimum of $3.6 billion would be saved annually if breastfeeding rates were increased from current levels so this carries great potential benefit for us all. *end*

Well, guess what happened to my coalition after they were given this to preview and approve before submitting to the newspaper.  Everyone has dropped out of the coalition.  The main reason I have gotten is "we don't want to make Mothers feel guilty".    I say, what about those of us who fed formula to our babies without the opportunity to make an informed choice and instead of feeling quilty feel angry that we were not protected from making an unhealthy choice on behalf of our children by the Health Care Community.  No one seems to care at all about our feelings!!  I've tried to tell the members of the coalition who I have communicated with that until Mothers stop lying down and feeling "guilty" about the choices they've made and instead get mad about the lack of information they are being given and demand that the Health Care Community support them in their desire to breastfeed things will not change.  And until Mothers realize that there are risks associated with feeding their children formula everyone will go on believing formula is just as good and won't see the importance of striving to exclusively breastfeed.  I'm quite sure I'm seen as being a radical.  Frustrating!!    Even though the coalition is defunct, I submitted the Letter to the newspaper myself.

Sally Myer RN, BSN, CLC, ICCE