Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:27:08 +0100
At 8:37 pm -0700 21/10/00, Margaret M. MacKenzie wrote:

<snip>

>Baby is 6.5 months post birth, but was born at 33
>weeks by c-section, and was in NICU for a while, while
>mom pumped, was not allowed to bf at all to begin
>with, and then later only once per day "so as not to
>tire baby", (really bad hospital situation in
>general), and had her milk thrown out often.
>
>She is still 100% bf (no solids yet) from when they
>came home (around about due date, I believe), and the
>baby gained 100g. (about...3 oz?  4 oz?) per week for
>quite a while.
>
>The last visit to the paediatrician showed a weight
>gain of "only" 250g. (about 8 oz) in 1.5 months.

I think we need more info, Myra. This is probably on the face of it a
baby who is growing slowly, but on the figs you give it's hard to
say....older babies do slow down in their rate of growth, as you
suggest. But I think I would need to know more about the baby's
overall pattern, development, behaviour at the breast, to make any
suggestions

>As for nursing sessions, the baby nurses on both sides
>approx. 5 times during the day and 3 at night.  During
>this past 1.5 months' time, it was always directly at
>the breast.

It's also important to see how effectively the baby feeds, if the
position is ok, how the mother responds to the baby's cues, and how
content the baby is.

>Mom says her "gut instinct" says that things are
>fine...and I expect she's right,

She could well be!

Again though,  this is a situation where current weight alone is only
a part of the picture.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK