From:
Alice Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:42:28 -0800
  I’m working with the mother of a 3 month old baby. She saw a podiatrist about a painful ingrown toenail and was told that she has a fungal infection that thickens the toenail. He will not prescribe medication as long as she is breastfeeding. She doesn’t know what medication he was thinking of. I would guess it is Terbinafine (Lamisil) which Hale lists as L2. What other antifungal might be used to treat toenail fungus?

  She uses natural family planning and intends to breastfeed until natural weaning (and could even be pregnant again by then). I think she will just suffer along. It is her husband who is pushing for a better solution. We need help for her, whether by medicine or other treatment for a very think toenail that tends to become ingrown.

  Alice Roddy, LLLL, IBCLC

  Breastfeeding is the biological norm for infants. It is a relationship that provides food, connection, protection from illness to the baby and stress reducing hormones to the mother.