From:
Kathy Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:18:56 -0500
Remember that this baby is only 3 days old and the milk is barely in and certainly not flowing out well yet. If the pump could only get 3 mls out it does not surprise me that the baby could not get much. And don't forget that a scale is only accurate to a tenth of an ounce which is right about the amount that the pump could get out. So it is entirely possible that the baby got the same as the pump. You will not know how things are going until the milk is really in and you can demostrate that it moves out with a pump. Then you can compare what the baby can do to what the pump can do. With these tiny amounts the swallowing you are hearing is unlikely to be much milk. Some babies are loud swallowers and don't transfer much and some babies are stealth eaters who quietly slug down a big meal...which is why I like my scale because I have been fooled. I would just encourage this mom to pump after feedings in case the baby is having trouble transferring due to her tricky nipples but chances are if the baby can latch there won't be an issue once the milk is really flowing.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC