Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:45:40 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I may be wrong, but the last thing I knew, donor MILK is not sold (at least not in the US), but there is a fee charged for the handling, processing, and shipping, etc. of the milk.  This is exactly the same as the scenario for donated blood products from the Red Cross.  If the few institutions that have stood their ground and survived over the last 20 years as milk banks were not able to recoup their costs, we would have no donor milk available at all.  The milk is issued under perscription from a physician, and as such is reimbursable in most insurance plans.  We ordered human milk for my husband at age 57 when he was experiencing esophageal bleeding from chemotherapy, but he passed away before it arrived (by one day).  The milk bank cancelled all the charges, despite the fact that the milk had actually been shipped already.  These people work very hard to help our littlest, most needy patients!  Please encourage this mother to discuss this with the milk bank directors, as this MUST be a misunderstanding.  Mary Rose, are you lurking; if so can you clarify for us?

Kay McKee, IBCLC
Langley AFB, VA, USA
--
Kay McKee
--
Kay McKee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2