From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:29:26 -0400
Would LLL (and other mother-to-mother breastfeeding support organizations)
need to include in the Leader role biologically born males and even if
they were not breastfeeding because it would be that they were discriminating
against a whole gender that could not (as easily) breastfeed?

Kim Ann
trying to understand how mom to mom would change

In a message dated 8/20/2012 4:45:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Karleen  Gribble <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1243822--la-leche-league-canada
>  -rejects-breastfeeding-dad-s-bid-to-become-lactation-coach
>
>  ...disappointing. I am sure that he could provide fabulous peer  support
> for parents in a similar situation.

Does LLL have  reasonable grounds to claim exemption from
Canada's/Manitoba's[1] Human  Rights/Anti-discrimination laws? Gender
identity discrimination is  specifically addressed in Manitoba law - I
understand that this aspect has  been explicitly enacted only very
recently, so perhaps LLL are not aware of  this. The area of "employment"
is defined as including unpaid work[2], and  the area of "pre-employment
inquiry"[3] is included in the Code also.

I hope LLL rethink this antiquated, discriminatory policy  quickly.

Lara Hopkins

[1]  http://www.gov.mb.ca/fs/imd/hr.html

[2]  http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h175e.php

[3]
http://www.manitobahumanrights.ca/publications/guidelines/pre-employment
.html

set lactnet nomail
2. To start  it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To  get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet
welcome