From:
Carol Schlef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:29:01 -0500
Kathy,

Here are a couple of refs from my research on soy formula, that also looked
at the protein hydrolysate formulas.
The first one:
Hawkins, NM, Coffey S, Lawson, MS, Delves, HT. 1994. "Potential aluminium
toxicity in infants fed special infant formula", J Pediatr Gastroenterol
Nutr, 19(4),377-81.

showed that, while breastmilk has on average an aluminum content of 9.2
mcg/L, soy formulas have 534  mcg/L, & the protein hydrolysates have a
whopping 773 mcg/L!! Wonder if this has an impact on our growing Alzheimer's
population...

The second one:

Chandra, RK. 1997. "Five-year follow-up of high-risk infants with family
history of allergy who were exclusively breast-fed or fed partial whey
hydrolysate, soy, and conventional cow's milk formulas", J Pediatr
Gastroenterol Nutr, 24(4), 380-8.

showed that, while protein hydrolysate formulas were less allergenic than
soy or regular cowsmilk formulas, they are still 50-100% higher in incidence
(15% vs 10% for bf babies w/eczema, 10% vs 5% for bf babies with astma).
Cumulative incidence of allergic disease at 5 years was 26.7% for bf, 32.4%
for Good Start, 50% for Isomil, and 59.7% for Similac. Interestingly, this
study was funded by Nestle, who used their Good Start formula as the protein
hydrolysate sample....

Now, I must go back to blowing my sneezy, itchy, soy-formula-fed nose in our
17000+ mold count city today.....

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC
Humor, Health & Hugs
St. Louis, Missouri USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Let Carol provide YOUR group with edutainment for your corporate or
community needs!