From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:29:27 -0400
Sorry folks I just can't resist GRRRRR!

I too have been exposed to this "train of thought" in Indonesia in the form
of "breastfeeding is just not enough - look at all the malnourished babies!

Firstly maternal nutrition is a public health problem in countries like
India. The problem is not the breastfeeding but the need to address the
public health aspects of malnourished women; better economics, education of
the woman to teach them how to cook low cost noursihing foods etc. I could
almost write a paper about putting the cart before the horse! I have heard
about one Clinic/NGO in India that is dealing very effectively with the
problem but "admitting mothers" and teaching breastfeeding as well as hands
on cooking of low cost culturally appropriate food for the family.

In Indonesia we have a major problem with undernourished toddlers and small
children. Similar comments have been uttered to me about breastfeeding "not
being enough" The 1997 Indonesian Dempgraphic Survey show that the rate of
ever breastfed is high but the rate of exclusive breastfeeding below 4
months is 52% and this decreases to 24% at 4 -5 months. This concludes that
mothers are using breastmilk subsitiutes. We know that many of these women
cannot afford formula so on the days they can't give the formula they used
tapioca gruel or other fluids. The whole situation is then compounded by the
lack of nutritious and appropriate weaning foods ( if you are poor you
subsist on Rice). No wonder there is a malnutrition problem but does it
relate to breastfeeding not being enough? I don't think so.

The Global Health Council is currently seeking abstracts for next years
(July) conference. The theme this year was "A Centuary child of Health for
the Children of 2000" - there was absolutely nothing presented on
breastfeeding - it ties in with the theme for next year which is "Healthy
Women: Healthy World".

The website for Global Health Council is www.globalhealth.org - they are
currently seeking abstracts for next year. The deadline is 15th October,
2000.

It would be a wonderful opportunity to present the benefits of breastfeeding
to the public health community. Any takers among the wise ones out there?

Kind Regards
Mandy O'Reilly
IBCLC
Nurse Midwife.