From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:26:33 -0500
I still contend that the problem is that we are lumping a variety of infant
for every difference between breastfeeding and bottle feeding (or any use of
artificial nipples), there is potential for some infants to have a problem.
Each infant responds individually, so what is a challenge for one isn't for
another and vice versa.  Among the various "confusions" that are lumped
under the umbrella term "nipple confusion" might be:

Shape confusion

Flow confusion

  Initial-immediate vs. taking a few sucks to initiate

  Ongoing-with artificial nipple, "X" amount of sucking always yields "Y"
amount of milk until it's empty, at breast, some    sucks yield a mouthful
while others yield smaller amounts

Texture confusion

Rate confusion

Taste confusion (not just the milk, but the "taste" of skin vs. plastic,
rubber, etc.)

Compressibility confusion

Temperature confusion

Etc.,etc., etc.