Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:37:35 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
What has frustrated me for years is the lack of comparison that is objective between different pumps.  The only thing I ever saw and that was only in fine print in an ad SEVERAL years ago was a comparison based on milk fat levels obtained by a certain pump as compared to another pump along the pumping continuum.  This had to do with the better the pump drained the breast, the higher the milk fat levels obtained in the continuous samplings of milk.  I really think that the only way you can get accurate info is to put automatic data collectors on pumps that would take away the human error factor so you could get accuracy as to use factors as well as volume factors.  And each mom should serve as her own control.  Susan Burger - I think you are a great statistician - maybe you could design the ideal study?

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phyllis Adamson IBCLC

Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:36 AM

Subject: Re: New USFDA article about pumps

The first time I heard the term "hospital grade" questioned, then re-defined, was when the owners of Hygeia were marketing their new products. 

They defined "hospital grade" as having to do solely with the electrical wiring, and that it was up to hospital standards.

Hospitals don't want anything that might cause a fire and they usually want their Bio-Med Dept to review any electric device including your radios and office coffee pots before you are allowed to plug them in.

Another reason that rang true was that on at least one of the other rmajor brands of double electric pumps, you could choose a "standard" electric cord or a "heavy duty" or "hospital" cord - which cost more, of course.

How did we get stuck on the term "hospital grade"?

Phyllis

---- Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============

There is no such thing as a "hospital-grade breastpump", which is a suave marketing term (that absolutely *works* because I used that phrase for years). This link is to a nice, accurate article from the U. S. Food & Drug Administration (which oversees pump safety/effectiveness). Pumps are better described as single- or multi-user.

http://tinyurl.com/c4nzx9h

--

Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA

Wyndmoor, PA, USA

--

Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC

Glendale, AZ.

[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2