Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:42:18 +0000
><We had realized that poor weight gain in breastfed babies in our
>practice was related to poor feeding patterns e.g. prolonged feeds, often
>using only one breast at a feed, and an irregular feeding pattern. The
>weight gain improved enormously when these patterns were improved. A
>regular stable pattern (approximately 3 hourly during the day, often
>longer gaps at night) using both breasts at each feed, approximately 10
>minutes each side, much improved weight gain. We now see babies who gain
>up to 1lb (and sometimes more than this) a week in the early weeks. >
>*******************
>Jean quotes from an article about peer support and brings up the information
>about time and space of feedings.

Have to correct this again....this is *not* from an article about
peer support. It is from the selection of *responses* to this
article, and in my view it is a very *uninformed* response.

>I have a hard time seeing this as correct.
>I know, research, etc. but experience tells me otherwise.\

But research ties in with experience!

>   Babies tend to
>fuss and show hunger cues long before 3 hrs.  And ten minutes on each side may
>mean a fussy  baby even sooner due to the over full breasts in the
>first place.
>So, what age are they talking about?  Also, does that mean again, that all
>the experience is wrong and the information of "don't feed the baby more than
>every three hours and there is no reason to nurse more than 10 minutes on each
>breast" nonsense my moms are hearing actually has a research source?

No, no, and no!

Please don't quote this as research. It is not from the paper, it is
a single doctor's response, and it is not evidence-based.

>It seems to me that allowing the baby to determine hungry and satiety makes
>more sense (assuming all is well and supply/latch/intake are all good) than
>watching a clock.  Why would they have seen more weight gain by
>scheduled feeds
>and limiting time at the breast?

We'd need to see the methodology and the sample...and then we might
believe the results.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK