Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:48:24 +0000
Thanks for the futher details,  Virginia.

>Dear Heather -
>    I forgot to say, in my previous posts, that "10 minutes each side" was
>the absolute maximum, in hospital and post-discharge.  In the first few
>days, mothers did not dare to feed as long as that, having been assured that
>starting with 2 (or 3) minutes, and gradually increasing the duration, would
>"prevent" sore nipples.

That is correct, and was still widespread advice here in the 1980s
and then gradually died out. I don't think I have heard it recently.

Chloe Fisher used to give a talk based on the printed advice and
instruction to midwives, and found numerous mentions of these
strictures, dating, I think, from the 1920s.  The strictures were
sometimes based not on protection of the nipples but on avoiding some
imagined onslaught on the baby's digestive system.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK