From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 17:27:16 +0200
> Angie asks:
>
> We are  trying to improve how quickly we get a breast pump to moms'
> bedsides
> to  begin pumping for their NICU babies.  Does anyone have any research
> other
> than the 1998 article by Furman that says within 6 hours?  How  soon do
> your
> policies say that moms should be given a pump?  What is  it based on?  I
> greatly appreciate any and all  responses.

We have a policy that moms need to be encouraged to express within 2 hours
of birth, but we hand express for the first 24 hours so that we can collect
all the precious drops and not lose them in the pump parts.  I would love to
see research look at hand versus mechanical  expression in the first 24 to
48 hours.

I agree with Jan that sometimes with the first expression one can obtain an
impressive volume of colostrum.  If the next expression yields a good
volume, too, then we switch to an electric pump sooner.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]