Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:32:10 EST
Dear Wise Ones:
        What a dilemma Joanne is in. Should she breastfeed her niece? My gut feeling
is not without knowledge and permission from the parents. Breastfeeding is an
intimate relationship in the USA. In other countries (any comments Kathy D?)
it may be commonplace for another female relative to breastfeed the baby, but
here in the USA, it is viewed as an intimate relationship. One cannot be
intimate with another person without permission.
        What about Joanne pumping for the newborn niece? That way there will be a
family source of human milk? As long as everyone is sure that there is no
chance of any HIV/HTLV being passed along. This means blood tests and
screening for risk factors in the history. Good idea to call a milk bank too!
         I pumped for a dear friend of mine who was diagnosed with inflammatory
breast cancer when she was 28 weeks pregnant with her second baby. I got my
blood tested for HIV.  My friend knew that my husband and I  had been a
monogamous couple for years before this sad occurrence. Because the situation
was so dire, so close to death, and I was so deeply moved and saddened,  it
was easy for me to pump once a day so that her baby could have one human milk
feed a day. It was the least I could do for my friend.
        So that is one story. I hope it helps. Warmly, Nikki Lee