From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:47:10 -0400
Cindy said : "We also plan to ask them about setting up a display of
breastfeeding books during the month of August."

I did this one year too, not in the library (which really doesn't have any
very attractive display area), but in the window of a downtown bookstore
known for its excellently-done displays. It was great - I took in materials
showing women & babies from all over the world (Ithaca is very big on
multiculturalism), and the store pulled out their best books on the subject,
and someone knew someone who contributed really gorgeous black&white "artsy"
photos, and the 6-yr. old son of a woman I worked with let us borrow an
absolutely FANTASTIC school project he'd done on "mammals breastfeeding".
Tried to get the flavor, not of "strident" politically-correct BFing, or
even "these are the reasons BFing is important" (although there was some of
that too), but of beautiful images of mothers and babies, who just happened
to be breastfeeding.

I think it was a pretty big success - people were talking about it all over
town! The owner of the store told me that women came in just to tell them
how much they loved the window! Kids, from toddlers to teenagers, were
fascinated by it.

"Maybe we should add a list of NOT recommended books....?????"
I wouldn't, not in a display - I wouldn't do anything to reinforce their
existence. People might remember the title but not that it was NOT
recommended. But having a list available or rec.s, and maybe even non-rec.s
as a pick-up for those interested might not be a bad idea.

Cathy Bargar RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY